Chicken and Chorizo Paella Recipe is what we’ll be making here. It’s relatively simple to make and great for any time of the year. Winter especially, though. If you’re not familiar with what exactly chorizo is, it’s basically a spicy Spanish pork sausage. Mixing it with chicken is usually a winning combo. This goes in the oven and bakes for a little bit, so prepare to be making this for a little under an hour.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground saffron
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper for the Chicken and Chorizo Paella
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon pimenton (smoked Spanish paprika)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces dried chorizo, sliced 1/8 inch thick on the bias
- 1 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup fresh shelled English peas
Step 1 for Chicken and Chorizo Paella
Preheat oven to 400 degrees to bake this delicious recipe.
Warm stock, saffron, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a saucepan over medium heat.
Season chicken with 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the pimenton. You’ll need a bowl to do this in. It could be done on a plate, I suppose, but you’ll be safest with a bowl.
Step 4 for Chicken and Chorizo Paella
Heat oil in a 14-inch paella pan or a high-sided ovenproof skillet over high heat.
Step 5 for
Brown chicken for 6 to 8 minutes in the stock/saffron/salt saucepan; transfer to a plate.
Step 6 Chicken and Chorizo Paella
Pour out all but 1 teaspoon oil.
Cook chorizo over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Add onion and garlic. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes to the Chicken and Chorizo Paella. Cook, stirring, until thick, about 5 minutes.
Stir in rice, then add broth mixture. Bring to a boil.
Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add peas, then chicken.
Bake for 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Set the table and enjoy your Chicken and Chorizo Paella