Headshots and Resumes

Home Forums Job Questions and Answers Resumes Headshots and Resumes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Marlie

Should I include a headshot on my resume?

Keegan

Hello Marlie,

This is a great question! I highly recommend using a professional photo of yourself on your resume early in your career. I credit my professional photo for landing me many interviews fresh out of college because it put a face and smile to my skills and work experience. Anything you can do to personalize your resume helps early on. Later in your career it is not as needed as your work experience grows and your connections expand. I hope this helps!

Best,

Keegan

https://www.linkedin.com/in/keegan-hughes/

David Mowell

Hi Marlie,

In the last few years, it has gotten a bit more popular to include a professional photo. In many European countries, it is a very common practice to have a good quality photo/headshot on the CV. Now in the US it is becoming more common for people that are starting out in their career, especially in certain fields like graphic design, or UX/UI design. The more creative or artsy the role, the more people are building out some really fun resumes along with a photo.

From what I see in your picture above, you look like a really happy person, and people like to see that. I would do it!

Patty Borre

Hello Marlie,

I worry about giving the person reviewing your resume the opportunity to (intentionally or not) pre-judge you based on your photo, rather than your experience. Yes, it might help for the reasons outlined by the other professionals here. There is also the chance that it might work against you.

Just a thought!

Best of luck to you in your job search.

Take care,

Patty

Charisse

Hi Marlie,

I used to get this question a lot when I hosted virtual resume writing skills for new grads, I’m a Campus Recruiter. In my personal opinion, headshots are not necessary, whether you’re starting out or a seasoned applicant. Some people are unaware of their own unconscious biases. What your photo looks like on your resume shouldn’t matter, we can easily look you up on LinkedIn. Keep your resume simple and easy to read.

Best of luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Resumes’ is closed to new topics and replies.