Alltru Federal Credit Union is the Missouri FCU that we’ll be taking a look at here. This article will cover important details on them like membership requirements, products, rates, and more. By the end of reading this, you should be in a pretty good position to know if it’s the right place to put your money.
At the end of this article, you can add in your own personal review of AFCU if you have experience with them.
If you work there and want to be notified when reviews come in, please email [email protected] and request to be on the email list. Please say the specific name of your credit union in the subject line.
Advertiser Disclosure: We receive compensation if you sign up for financial products or services mentioned in this article in the blue buttons. For more info on that, click here.
*Main Phone #(toll free): 1-800-288-7618
*Branch Locations for Alltru Federal Credit Union
5916 North Lindbergh
Hazelwood, MO 63042
P: (636) 916-8300
F: (636) 896-8213
1721 Zumbehl Road
St. Charles, MO 63303
P: (636) 916-8300
F: (636) 916-8376
Downtown St. Louis
1407 Washington Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63103
P: (636) 916-8300
F: (636) 896-8261
1232 Wentzville Parkway
Wentzville, MO 63385
P: (636) 916-8300
F: (636) 916-8313
A Little History on AFCU
Alltru Federal Credit Union was started in 1968. That’s later than a lot of credit unions I’ve looked at, since most were started in the early 1930’s. They were also called 1st Financial Federal Credit Union up until 2020 when they changed to the current name.
They follow the same mantra that many non-profit financial institutions out there do, “Not for profit, not for charity, but for service.”
Today, their asset size is about $318 million, according to their NCUA profile.
Because they are part of the CO-OP network of ATMs, you can access your cash from here surcharge-free in 35,000 places nationwide. That’s pretty good if you ask me!
Does Alltru Federal Credit Union Give Back at all?
Yes, AFCU does give back to the community in a lot of different ways. They are a certified Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). Basically, one of their main goals is to meet the needs of people in communities traditionally underserved by regular banks.
They also partner with local non-profit groups and programs. Two big partnerships are with the Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis and Justine PETERSON.
All of their employees are also encouraged to volunteer with paid time. Everyone at Alltru Federal Credit Union gets 8 hours of PTO each month to go volunteer at one of their non-profit partners. That’s almost 100 hours annually that each employee is paid to go and give their time!
Love to see it.
Membership Requirements at AFCU
In order to become a member at Alltru Federal Credit Union, you need to meet some requirements. You’ll need to live, work, worship, or attend school in the City of St. Louis, St. Louis County, or St. Charles County.
Those aren’t the only ways in, though. If your immediate family members belong, then, you will be able to get in through them.
It’s nice to see that they have a smaller field of membership. Some CU’s seem like they’re open to just about anybody anywhere, which kind of takes away from the community feel.
Products at Alltru Federal Credit Union
You can find all the typical financial products here that you’d get at a standard bank. Those include personal and business products.
There are three main checking accounts – Rewards Checking, Opportunity Checking, and Teen Checking for personal needs. Alltru Federal Credit Union offers one checking account dedicated to businesses.
Savings account offerings from here are pretty extensive. They have the Primary Savings account, RollUp Savings, High Yield Online Savings, Health Savings Accounts, Money Markets, CDs & IRAs, Youth Savings, Teen Savings, and Holiday savings for personal needs.
For business, they have business savings, business money market accounts, and business health savings accounts.
Loans and Investments
There are a number of loan products at Alltru Federal Credit Union. They have auto, home, personal, credit builder, lines of credit, RV, Boat, and motorcycle loans.
You can also find various Visa cards, like Rewards Visa, Low Rate Visa, Credit Building Visa, Secured Visa, and Prepaid Visa. There are business loans, too.
Investment services are offered through a partnership with LPL Financial, a registered investment advisor and broker.
Rates at Alltru Federal Credit Union
(all rates current at the time of this writing, however, they are subject to change without notice)
|Type||Monthly fee||Debit card||APY*||Features|
|TailorMade Rewards Checking1Choose the rewards that fit your life. Learn more||$0||Yes||.15%< $20,000 daily balance.60%balances greater than $20,000||• Interest checking account|
• Choose your own rewards
• No balance minimums
|Opportunity CheckingFor second chances and credit scores under 550. Learn more||$8with direct deposit$10without direct deposit||Yes||.00||• For ages 18 and up|
• Second chance checking for a fresh start
• Free budget and credit counseling
|StepOne Teen Checking Help your kids take their first financial steps. Learn more||$0||Yes||.00||• For teens 13 to 17 years old|
• Learn how to manage money
• Financial freedom at an early age
1. View full Tailor Made Rewards Checking account details and qualifiers.
ALLTRU SAVINGS ACCOUNTS
|Primary & Secondary SavingsStart building financial security.Learn more||Yes||.05%||• 30,000 ATM access nationwide|
• Free mobile and online banking
• Federally insured by the NCUA
|RollUp Savings1Earnings with every swipe.Learn more||Yes||5.01%||• Every purchase is rounded up|
• Nightly, automatic transfer of extra funds
• Earnings deposited into savings fund
|High Yield Online Savings2Grow your savings, faster.Learn more||Yes||.70%< $25,000 daily balance.05%> $25,000 daily balance||• $0 minimum balance|
• No withdraw penalties
• No maintenance fees
|Health Savings Account (HSA)3Invest in a healthier tomorrow. Learn more||Yes||.10%||• Save toward future medical expenses|
• No “spend it or lose it” stipulations
• Tax advantages
|Cubby Youth Savings4Teach your kids the thrills of saving. Learn more||Yes||5.01%||• For kids 12 and under|
• Prizes for deposits over $10
• Annual birthday surprise
|StepOne Teen SavingsFinancial lessons learned early. Learn more||Yes||.05%||• For teens 13 to 17 years old|
• No minimum balance
• No monthly fees
|Holiday SavingsSave for the holidays all year long. Learn more||• Free automatic savings|
• Automatic transfer in October
ALLTRU MONEY MARKET ACCOUNTS
|Money Market5Easy access, high dividends. Learn more||$2,500||.05%|
ALLTRU CDS & IRAS
|Individual Retirement Account (IRA)6Plan for the future on your terms. Learn more||3 month||.05%|
|Certificate of Deposit (CD)6Earn more interest than a traditional savings account. Learn more||3 month||.05%|
1. RollUp Savings Accounts earn 5.01% APY on the first $250. Balances over $250 will earn a rate of 0.10% APY.
2. High Yield Online Savings Account balances between $0-$25,000 will earn a 0.70% APY, if qualifications are met. Balances greater than $25,000 will receive the primary savings account APY of 0.05%. Qualification to earn dividends at the disclosed rate include: (a) consent to receive your periodic statements electronically; and (b) have an open, active checking account with us, with at least 1 ACH deposit or withdrawal per month. No minimum balance requirements apply. All transactions, including transfers, deposits, and withdrawals, must be conducted online. Only one High Yield Online Savings account may be opened per social security number.
3. Alltru Credit Union makes the HSA account as a custodian only. See the HSA disclosure for eligibility, additional requirements and tax implications.
4. CUbby Youth Savings Accounts earn 5.01% APY on the first $250. Balances over $250 will earn a rate of 0.05% APY.
5. Money Market Accounts – You must maintain at least $2,500 in your account each day to obtain the disclosed APY and to avoid a fee.
6. CDs & IRAs – Early withdraw penalties may apply. All CDs and IRAs require a minimum deposit of $250.
ALLTRU Federal Credit Union AUTO LOANS
|Type||Term||As low as APR*|
|Auto Loan1The open road is waiting for you. Learn more||Up to 36 months||1.99%|
|From 37 to 48 months||3.09%|
|From 49 to 60 months||3.24%|
|From 61 to 72 months||3.74%|
|From 73 to 84 months||4.99%|
ALLTRU HOME LOANS
|Type||Loan amount||Term||As low as APR*|
|Home Equity Loan2Put your house plans into action. Learn more||$10,000+||8 years (up to 90% max CLTV)||3.99%|
|$10,000+||15 years (up to 90% CLTV)||4.50%|
|Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC)3Prepare for the unexpected. Learn more||$10,000+||Up to 300 months||4.00%|
|Home Improvement Loan4No Equity? No problem. Learn more||$2,500 to $10,000||Up to 180 months||6.24%|
|$10,000 to $25,000||Up to 180 months||7.24%|
|Mortgages Simplifying the process. Learn more||Varying terms||Get a quote for the most current rates|
ALLTRU CONSUMER LOANS
|Type||Maximum amount||Term||As low as APR*|
|Personal Loan5Support when you need it most.Learn more||$20,000||Up to 24 months||7.99%|
|Credit Builder LoanWhat ever life may bring, we’re here to help.Learn more||$1,000||Up to 12 months||12.00%|
|Line of CreditFunds tied to your checking or savings account.Learn more||$20,000||12.24%|
|Shared SecuredSecured with your savings||Up to 24 months||6.00%|
|CD SecuredSecured with a CD||Up to 24 months||2.00% above CD rate|
ALLTRU RV / BOAT / MOTORCYCLE LOANS
|Type||Loan amount||Term||As low as APR*|
|Boat / Jet Ski / RV / ATV Loan6Water or land, we’ve got you covered. Learn more||< $20,000||Up to 60 months||6.34%|
|$10,000+||61 to 72 months||6.34%|
|73 to 84 months||6.49%|
|85 to 96 months||6.49%|
|$15,000+||97 to 120 months||6.74%|
|121 to 144 months||7.24%|
|RVs Only||$25,000+||145 to 180 months||7.49%|
|RVs Only||$30,000+||181 to 240 months||7.74%|
|Motorcycle LoanThe open road is calling.Learn more||< $25,000||12 to 36 months||5.74%|
|< $25,000||37 to 72 months||5.94%|
|$25,000+||73 to 84 months||6.99%|
*APR=Annual Percentage Rate. Rates effective 8/6/21. Rates are subject to change.
1. Autos include cars, trucks, and vans. Rates depend on mileage; restrictions may apply. See Credit Union representative for additional information. Sign up for automatic payments and receive a 0.25% rate discount. Available for new/used vehicles 2015-newer. For vehicles 2014 and older, call the Credit Union.
2. Home Equity Loan rates increase with the term and are based on creditworthiness. Additional terms and rates available. See Credit Union representative for details. Sign up for automatic payments and receive a 0.25% rate discount. Valid for an owner-occupied dwelling. Minimum loan amount of $2,500.
3. Home Equity Line of Credits (HELOCs) have a variable rate that can adjust quarterly based on changes in the Prime Rate. The current maximum rate is 18.00% APR. View their full Home Equity Line of Credit disclosure.
4. Home Improvement Loan valid for an owner-occupied dwelling. Minimum loan amount of $2,500. Sign up for automatic payments and receive a 0.25% discount.
5. Personal Loans rates and terms up to 60 months available. Sign up for automatic payments and receive a 0.25% rate discount.
6. For Recreational Loans, sign up for automatic payments and receive a 0.25% rate discount.
The Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act (SAFE Act), requires credit union mortgage loan originators (MLO) and their employing institutions to register with the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry (NMLS). Once registered, each MLO is provided a unique identifier from the NMLS. View their NMLS list of the MLO’s employed by Alltru Credit Union (NMLS ID # 408163). For more information about the registry, please visit the NMLS.
For residential mortgage lending, Federal law requires that they ask applicants for their demographic information (ethnicity, race, and sex) in order to monitor their compliance with equal credit opportunity, fair housing, and home mortgage disclosure laws.
Alltru Federal Credit Union – Final Thoughts
AFCU looks like a great credit union if you fall within their area of membership. You can work with them to get all of the usual products found at a bank or big national credit union. Their community involvement is a big plus, with their paid employee volunteer time making them unique compared to most other credit unions out there.
Do you have a review of this credit union that you’d like to share? Add it in below here. We need your email address in case they want to reach out to you to resolve any issues.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
*All information in this article was current at the time of this writing, however, it could change without notice. We do our best to keep these updated, however, there is no guarantee you will find the same information on the CU’s website or at the time of opening an account with them.
*This site is not affiliated with the Credit Union mentioned in this article.